donderdag 8 maart 2018

International Women's Day - 16 Days

In honour of International Women's Day: the lyrics to our Kitty Hawk song '16 Days'. It refers partly to the '16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence Campaign', that falls between 25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, and 10 December, Human Rights Day.

It's a call to remember the struggle women face all across the globe when it comes to violence and inequality.
It's a call to topple down normative patriarchy.
It's a call to all to be thoughtful of these issues.
A call to men to tear down their own prejudice, be open and accepting and through that find a form of protection against insane expectations of what 'masculinity' must entail.
It is a shout out to strong women. A commemoration of the sisters Mirabal, who fought to topple a dictatorship and who were murdered because of it.
A shout out to women musicians, artists, label owners. To their resilience.
Inspired by the works and work of Emma Ruth Rundle (in particular her song 'Protection'), but also that of Joan SlonczewskiSimone WeilSargent HouseWaxahatcheeUMFANG, and many, many more.
Yes, we're feminists.



1 6 D A Y S 

K I T T Y  H A W K
She gave me 16 days
To access my hidden mind

It's teaching me
Breaking me
Deconstructing me
Building me anew

I found a form of true protection
It's in the tearing me down

It's teaching me
Breaking me
Deconstructing me
Building me anew

She gave me 16 days
To access my hidden mind

Commemorate the Sisters Mirabal
Fuck you and your patriarchy...
Fuck you and your patriarchy!

She gave me 16 days
To access my hidden mind


(NT, 2017)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten